Tuesday, January 09, 2007

We open...

in Venice! (yes I did just use a quote from one of my least favorite songs from a 1940's musical, ouch)

Venice was picturesque enough. A little bit on the stingy, dingy side, though. I was a little bummed, though not surprised to find that there were only foreigners in Venice….I was slightly disappointed that when I went to the “non-touristy” part of Venice, there were pretty much NO stores open (like, they were boarded up) and there were just creepy dudes yelling at each other, and dogs biting each other. Quite gothic. Not my favorite local flavor.

Other than that, the Canal’s were lovely, and that was that. Venice is for (rich) Lovers, not random StL girls who really travel for the people and the atmosphere, and not necessarily for the sole purpose of seeing a postcard in real life.

I did totally love the Gondola dudes chatting with each other off Piazza San Marco. That was cool. And San Marco really did look just like that old Banana Republic t-shirt…it’s a cool church, no doubt.

Anyone else noticing an “Italian Cities that start with the letter ‘V’” theme here? Hm.

No comments: