Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Gemutlicheit, yo

We drove to Germany (crazy huh), to a town called Lindau. It was totally German, and by totally German, I mean it was sortof a lot like Austria. Though we did hear a thing on the radio that said Germans were giving Austrians some trouble for “alledgedly” charging them too much to go skiing on the beautiful Austrian mountains, and that mad Doris mad. I sense a leeeetle bit of rivalry betwixt the Austrians and the Germans.

Austrians call Germans some ridiculously awesome nonsense word and it totally drives the Germans crazy b/c they’re always asking what it means, when in fact it means absolutely nothing, other than, you’re a german and I’m calling you a goofy name that is something like Piffkie.

Don’t call Germans this, word to the wise.

However, if you meet an Austrian, complain about piffkies and they will love you.

Also, apparently, if you tell Austrians you are from California, they will buy you a drink…this I learned from Europe on a shoestring, and though an Austrian did buy me a drink, I don't think i told him I was from California, unless I nodded a yes to an incomprehensible, "are you from california?"… from Europe on a Shoestring I also learned that Austrians are grumpy, which is so not true.

Gemutlicheit! Look into it, Europe on a Shoestring!

They even have a drinking song about Gemutlicheit.

I learned about this lovely word from Rick Steves of BackDoor Europe - he's my travel Guru.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bear necessities from the (disney) jungle book is translated into the Bär Gemütlichkeit. and the song about it you'll hear a hundred times a day at Straßenfest--guess they don't know any other german songs. It's also the theme song of the Hofbräuhaus. A toast to the gemütlichkeit! Don't know why I felt the need to write that. You've sure made it to more German-speaking countries than I realized...I've only made it to Strassbourg and that hardly counts--practically Germany!

Lolololori said...

I seriously sang that Gemulichkeit song ALL night for new years...luckily i passed out before it got annoying. What's a Hofbrauhaus? I'm coming to hamburg, i just don't know when, and these are things I will need to know!