Monday, January 08, 2007

Quest for internet

Francoise, who shares the name (and a country of origin) with a favorite Kirkwood mom of mine, is a teacher who believes that it should not be that hard for me to get internet, really. I have not checked in with her lately, but last time I checked she had asked the computer man -- who is always happy, according to her…and also according to her, and I am inclined to agree, his overt, blatant, unclandestine happiness quite sets him apart from the average teacher at La Martin --- if it wouldn’t be too hard to extend the nurse connection (the nurses office is below me, yes I’ve been researching) into our dorms…he said it’d be actually really easy (!) – all we need is to drill a hole in the floor. The hard part, however, is getting some French mechanic to come and drill the hole. I admit, in the twilight hours when I’ve listened to everysinglesong in my itunes library for the 5th time, I have had dark thoughts of taking to that floor with my blunt butter knife, but I have resisted. Will Francoise cut the red tape and do the diplomacy dance to get internet (I believe it is a right, france believes it’s a nuisance/privilege? No way) to poor teaching assistants? We’ll see.

I am American! I am made to be intrepid and cross rough terrain and discover new things. My ancestors were revolutionaries! I think some of them were Puritans! They cut My people have a long legacy of cutting red tape! Though recently I’ll admit, we’ve been pretty good at creating a bit of the red tape ourselves, also ok, my ancestors did some pretty crappy things too, witch trials and slavery probably the most buzz worthy Ooopsies.

Still -- if the founding fathers could say peace out to a King, I can say, hey crazy French administration and bureaucracy, let’s get some internet in my dorm room that doesn’t even have a phone. So far I can talk the talk, but we’ll see about me walking the walk. I will try to be Ben Franklin and charm the French with my love of wine and song.

In case of the need for contingencies, Plan B is becoming friends with the nurses (should I develop a chronic some sort of illness?), and getting them on my side/getting them to give me the key to the internet.

-- ps I can sneak onto the 2nd floor, but sadly, the office with internet is locked. Ok, its not sad, b/c offices need to be locked, but I would like to check my email … I am an American! --

Plan C is to somehow steal a key to the nurses office and then sneak in there to use the internet and do terrible things like, talk to my mom! Its times like these where I really wish I did have the super spy skills I have always dreamed of aquiring.

Its amazing all the time I have to think since I don’t have internet. Most of it I use to think of ways to get the internet.

No comments: