Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I resisted starbucks, and was rewarded -- generously

Please do note, I do not condone starbucks resistance usually, but I am going for a "wow, starbucks, taste of home" whenI return...also, if I drink starbucks, I fear I might book a flight back to the USA the next day...so I refrain....HOWEVER.. Due to resisting Starbucks (probably b/c I was following my destiny) I ventured into the frontier of Oldtown Zurich…and thus, I believe I found a bar in Zurich to match the classy and silly atmosphere found at everyone in the Lou’s favorite bar, The Royale (don’t pretend you don’t totally heart the Royale). It was called Wueste (www.wueste.ch), whatever that means, and they even brewed their own beer – and it was good. My goofy red Tyrolean hat fit right in. Snnnaps!

I heart you, Wueste. Will you be my friend?

You and your beer, and your English speaking bartenders, and your banana’s hung from the ceiling underneath a snakeskin kayak-lamp, your colorful beaded chandelier, your sombreros and gold lamé cowboy hats, your WIFI, your chill and diverse clientele and even your strange techno music from the 90s.

* You know….I know what I want, and I want it now… I want you, ‘cause I’m Mr. Rain (?) I never understood that song. Is it Mr. Rain? Missarranged? I missed a ray? *

If you find yourself in Z-town, finde Wueste at Oberdorfstrasse 7 8007 Zurich

It’s a hotel, too, if you’re a baller. Hotelotter.ch

You will be so not sorry it is ridiculous if you go there.

PS that night I also bought some awesome swiss flag tourist gear (I have a weakness for swiss flags…especially when I can wear them. Also, when they are waving from flagpoles on swiss farmhouses.)

PPS I also bought some blue suede shoes (boots to be exact). They should go very well with everything I own. Hello Elvis connection!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wueste - die Wüste - the desert. German nerd in da house!

Lolololori said...

Desert? More like an Oasis! Your nerdy translation (keep'em comin' btw) explains the semi-Australian vibes I was (slightly) getting from the decor, though. It was soooo cool I wanna go baaaack.