Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Wave your hands like you just don't care

We went with Silvia’s buddies to a wine bar on my last day in Italia – where it was quite loud…Italians talk loudly, its sortof refreshing. I will miss Italy, I was just getting the hang of waving my hands a lot and saying, "eh!" alllllmost as well as mom and pop Fedele do.

Oh it was fun to be so expressive -- and I also liked the speaking italian part. I remember the first time I formed a real italian phrase in front of Papa Fedele...it was something like, "I like this gorgonzola cheese, b/c the gorgonzola at my place is too strong."

I may as well have recited the entirety of Dante's Trillogy in perfect old italian, he was so encouraging and impressed. It was a truly proud moment ... Papa Fedele, you are the Jaime Escalante to my italian. From then on, I attempted to stand and deliver all the broken italian I could muster. It probably started working just about the time I left.

Later that evening we then went Celebrità, the awesome Italian nightclub/giant living room with dance floors… full of ambiance and ridiculously good latin dancers doing a dance step I never learned (I should’ve dove in though, I was catching on just from watching). There was also a flooded toilet, and a few rooms….the one we were in was, semi strange, but happy music that wasn’t as bad as techno. Talking (or trying to talk) to Silvia’s friend’s funny and boisterous Italian pals was entertaining, as I tried to speak Italian to them, and they tried to speak English to me.

that = funny

And so the next day I left, with some Pandoro and Spumante (its like Champagne, but it's not Champagne b/c its not from France, celloo) from the Fedele’s, along with Mama Fedele’s delicious sandwiches (lifesaver), to go on a crazy beautiful train ride through N. Italy and lots of snowy mountains, not to mention lots of random old castled on hillsides…crazy!

Mama Fedele, I miss your cooking. I think it is also salient to mention that me and mame fedele both have a crush on Dr. House. (!)

No comments: