Monday, October 16, 2006

The "Spirits" of Cherokee -- a BYOB solution?

Sometimes I'm tired of thinking in croissant and frog-leg, and -- due to substantial drinking or excessive blog reading (I have yet to combine both) my mind floats across the pond.

Having some thoughts in France about this whole Cherokee Street Situation.

Mr. The Royale should just make his little place that he clearly wants to start up on Cherokee a BYOB until the aldermen stop the silly close-mindedness and have it be a bar full of excellent mixers (juice, duh?), and the civic-minded citizens bring the booze themselves! Brilliant!

It could be suuuuper fun, and quite glamorous. Cost effective; too?
I already want to go to this bar.

I used to live in Philly, where they overcome creepy Quaker Society of Friends (sober ones) drinking laws with the BYOB option. I don't know, it just sounds cool - and all this alcohol availability over in the EU seems to result in very little of the apocalypse predicted by a certain alderman... and the "residential character and the neighborhood serving commercial business" seem only to benefit from a few classy watering holes...well hey.

One such watering hole here in Lyon even has WIFI - a very enterprising and kind man from Valencia runs it, and thank GOD for him b/c WIFI is something I need, and france needs more of. (not as bad as france needs to learn how to make websites ... check out http://www.petitpaume.com hello! there's no blog, and the website is incomprehensible, even if you speak french...and guess who does? me. and Lyon, France. and we both need that website and its city guide goodness. STL could use the city guide festival - and the festival attendance - ... that all was amazing.)

A wise man travels to learn about himself...did someone say that? I'd like to learn about myself, but for Missouri (and elsewhere).

sidenote: I wonder if I could talk to the irish catholics I know about this alderman business - i know I'm like, only 3 degrees away from the policeman who worked the Cherokee Street Beat (and hated it and told his daughter never ever ever to go there because she would die in nasty ways). I suppose I have little cred, being barely irish and totally Methodist. If 95 theses couldn't convince'em, how do I stand a chance!?

Somehow I managed - through the generous and zen disciplinary spirit of one Ms. White, mom-extraordinaire - to go down to the "fun" (I believe it's sometimes called) part of Cherokee street at least once a week starting when I was like, 16...chaperoned only by The Blue Wonder- my swell car, and the genial owners and patrons of the corner of iowa and cherokee, more specifically of Casa Loma Ballroom... to survive quite well on that side of Jefferson.
And look at me now!

Could there be a way to rally support of pre-patrons for a new cherokee street bar through the wonders of http://www.barjax.com or even MySpace ?

These are things I think about when I'm in France. I also think about the typewriter cafe that's happening on Cherokee. I wanna go there!

French things have been happening, too -- expect to hear about those soon, too.

2 comments:

Steven Fitzpatrick Smith said...

Why hello. Thank you for your thoughts on the situation. It has devolved into the absurd. I was hoping this could all be straight ahead, and unfortunately it looks like it is going to be a messy solution instead.

Ah, yes, the BYOB option. I love this idea with the exception that I need to make money from cash flow to stay in business. There are some other shady short cuts that are appealing- the private club and less appealing cheats- lying about my food numbers.

But thanks for the thoughts. If you know anyone w/in the 20th Ward, please let them know about this and to mention it to the Alderman.

Lolololori said...

Thanks stevie, I know my BYOB buddies have done well (if not more so) in Philly,and if I get any tips from them (as far as cash flow, etc... goes, I would be more than happy to help you in any way possible. I'll talk it up, I will. To have a non-casa loma bar (|*now that I'm not 16(would be just so v. lovely.
Best,
Lori