Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thanks where thanks is due

It’s around that time where we all give thanks for that with which we are blessed, and I wanted to get in on the action. I got to thinking about those I left behind, and felt the need to express my thanks for a certain something that’s been there for me since high school, and that doesn't usually get the thank you when we make the rounds on the T-Day table.

Dear white vintage pumps,

I remember the day we met at the vintage haberdashery – I was so young. I was really excited to find vintage shoes in my size, and in such a versatile color at that! I wore you to friendship dance Junior year, but that was really only the beginning. You go with everything, and the fact that we always receive such glowing compliments when we are together only further strengthens my belief that we were truly meant to be together. With you, I can truly be myself. What we have is real.

I left you in St. Louis so that you would not be over-used and destroyed by European cobblestones. You are too precious to me, and your composition too delicate, to accompany me on such a dangerous sojourn. I could not live with myself if you were to come to harm on the rough streets of the Old World – but I wanted you to know that I still love you though I am far away, and plan on spending many more well-dressed days and nights with you.
Don’t forget me while I am gone.

Yours always,
Lori

No comments: