Thursday, September 21, 2006

There's no such thing as a French Hipster, and other thoughts

In other news, things I may feel like talking about later, but feel are worth a mention. There’s no such thing as a French hipster. Ok…?
It must be because the concepts of free wi-fi in may places, and old beautiful buildings refurbished in funky ways are somewhat absent here on the continent…for many reasons, backward (not quite into the internet-everywhere thing yet) and forward (their old beautiful buildings, if not blown up by Germans, were never in need of refurbishing, or city-museumifying).

I do not look French. I’ve decided there are two types of native French – there are the ones like Solène who have wide set eyes, and little noses, or there are ones who have big noses and tinier eyes, and they both are not without their charm when all the genetics work out. I don’t really have either of these looks going for me. But it’s cool.

Holy crap, there are a lot of cafes, and they’re very intimidating.

My Italian future roommate likes the Mississippi river she says. (?!?) And she wants the internet, and to improve her American Accent (my ability to speak American English - or just English I suppose - is really giving me some currency value). I wonder if I can actually help her speak better. She will definitely learn how to say, "i know, huh?" and "I mean, hey." along with "I mean..." and of course "OMG." Not sure if these will help with her accent, but they will give her mad street cred.

Emerique, a french dude I met at solene's freind's dinner party, thinks the south is more open minded than other places in US, and he thinks Katrina is just as bad (if not worse) as 9-11 – especially since we could see it coming. I agree. It’s funny, b/c just the day before I read Blythe’s post about pretty much the same thing and was like, “whoa, how come I have not thought of that.” There's a semi-good article in the DP about a girl who gave up her consulting job in california to work in new orleans, and she sounds super cool.
Yes, i have facebook messaged her.

Side note: there's not congress in france! I don't think the parlaiment is the same.
No French understand how you can have 2 candidates in a presidential election (though they end up having 2), nor do they understand that its usually the same w/ two pretty moderate people. I believe they don't think they understand, but they do. Though they had Chirac “the robber” and LePen “the Hitler” so that’s extremes. They really do call him hitler here. He's a bad dude. And then there is this year probably a flip floppy candidate and a sorta scary right wing guy who buys a lot of advertising and has a lot of money backing him up. Sound familiar to you? Sounds familiar to me – only the flip floppy candidate is a (pretty) woman. Ooo.

Another note on the The French American idol-meets-big-brother – um, no one can sing. Is it just the French voice? Are the bars lowered? Like, no one sounds good to me. All nasal head –voice crap. No soul. Speaking of which, I rock the gospel – "oh happy day" to be exact -- (and a can do a mean Hopelessly Devoted to You), with Phillipe, Agnes’ husband, on piano! We have as close to an old fashioned revival as you can in a 600 year old French apartment that was built by Venitians.

I met a girl down the hall, her name’s Constance or something (yeah, I forgot), and she says apartments are easier to find mid October…so that’s only a month! Then 7 months of chillin’ at night. If you know me, you know I like to be out at night, lookin’ at people and trippin’ on uneven bricks and whatnot.

No comments: